Thursday, April 20, 2006|
I got a spark!|
I have finally gotten back to the Vespa. I ordered some parts. Had to wait to get them. Tried to find some time to install the parts. Spent some time working through the issues and then had to order more parts. I finally got the last part I needed yesterday. I jumped on it this evening. Wasn't able to finish before dark came, but I did make some major headway!
Here is the deal. Beyond a shadow of a doubt my stator is a PX series stator. The flywheel is a PX series flywheel. The flywheel shaft is a PX series shaft.
Now, the case as best I can tell is a VBB2 case. It does not appear that they took two halves (the original case and a PX case). I know this seems strange, but I'm almost certain they took the bearings and shaft a PX engine and put it in the VBB2 case.
What ends up being the problem then is that they were running this PX series stator into a VBB2 wiring harness. There was a mysterious (I think homemade) regulator. However, there was no CDI.
So, here is what I have added:
- New harness
- New stator (P Series)
- New regulator
- New CDI (P Series)
The harness from scooterworks.com was one of the best things I did. I had built my own harness earlier. It simply was not up to the quality of the one I got from them.
Also, special thanks to Rob from scooterworks.com. He helped me pull it all together and hooked me up with the parts I needed. I think this is going to work.
All I have to do now is remount the fork, connect the harness to the headset bulbs, alter the harness to accept a connection to the side car light, get the gas tank back in the body, and make sure all the connections are secure. I'll be ready to start it up! I've already kicked it to see if I would get some spark. Yep, a nice strong spark!