Saturday, March 04, 2006
Closer, getting closer
It has been a week since I took the Paris Mountain ride. I have been able to make quite a bit of progress. Monday and Tuesday I was able to use the scooter as my primary means of transportation. Wednesday and Thursday I had to have room for passengers during the day, so I missed out on riding those days. Yesterday Thing One was home with a fever - 104 at one point. So, I was home again with her.
My package also arrived from Scooterworks. It had all the things I needed to get some of the nagging issues taken care of. I mentioned some of them last week:
- Gas cap: I got a new one that is a traditional cap. Works like a charm!
- Brakes: I went ahead and attached the cable with the brake fully engaged. When I released it, it gave a little so that now my brakes are working as well as I can expect its design to work.
- Gears: Still more progress on this. The shifting is more crisp, but I still have some work to do on 3 and 4.
- Bumping: I found out what this was. First, there is the front end. I realize that there is going to be some bumping just because of the design. However, my main problem was coming from the rear. The engine pinion was loose! So the whole rear suspension was rocking back and forth ever so slightly. You really only noticed it at higher speeds. That has been fixed and has helped much. Also, the front end issues have improved now that I am able to use the back brakes to help slow down.
- You will recall that Thing Three broke my headlamp lens. Well, I got a new one yesterday and it is now installed along with a real headlight (I ordered three of them from Scooterworks).
I'll do an update at the end of the day to see how I have progressed...