This is the story of my '64 Vespa 150 - how it became mine and how it has given me a new vespatude.  I'll be recording the neat places I visit, the different things I do to make the Vespa my own, and - oh yeah - those reactions I get from both friends and strangers.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, January 01, 2006
Happy New Year!
A lot has been going on since Christmas. My family was out of town for over a week and I really didn't think that much about the Vespa while we were gone. Upon returning, I tried to do as much work on it as possible to get it running before I start back to work. I start back tomorrow. Unfortunately, the Vespa is not running. My New Year resolution is to get the thing running before 2007!

Here is a list of all that I have done since I got the bike in September.

I have replaced:

- leg shield trim
- wiring harness
- all bulbs (with an upgrade to a car grade bulb in the head lamp)
- fuel tap in the fuel tank
- all gaskets and grommets
- gear cables

I have also:

- rebuilt the engine
- machined the piston pinion hole in the crankshaft
- painted the engine red :-)
- removed and improved the steering column

Things I have planned to do:

- replace the current stator system
- have a "quick release" frame designed for the sidecar

The scooter actually got started and I was able to drive it - but it would not run consistently. I chronicled some of the problems I was having in earlier posts. It was such a frustrating grimlin! I was about to put Heebie up for sale on ebay!

However, as it is with many of those types of things, you stumbled across the solution - at least what I think is the solution...

The problem was that the engine would flatline when it reached a certain rpm. I checked for air leaks, looked for fuel constrictions, had the carb rebuilt, checked the timing and who knows what else. Sometimes it seemed that things I did helped and then at other times the problem came back.

Then on Saturday, I was about to give up. Finally, I just could not get it to start period. No matter how I tried. So, I checked for spark. Nothing. Hmmmmm, now how could that have happened? So, I traced the wiring back from the spark and found that there was a break in the circuit in the condenser.

Then I remembered when I first got the scooter and we were trying to get it to run. I had pulled on the sparkplug cable on the condenser end. I didn't realize that it was one piece. The cable came out abruptly. I then pressed it back in and things seemed to work okay.

Now I realize that I had broken the sparkplug cable and I was just lucky that it was making any contact. Depending on the connection as the wire would be moved or jostled, I would run okay or not at all. I believe that the flatlining was due to the face that the cable was not connected well enough to handle the current when the rpms reached a certain point.

I am now waiting for a new electrical system from scooterworks. Because of some problems I had with the stator (a story for another day) and my unfamiliarity with the regulator currently on the bike, I think it would be best just to go ahead and make the change.

We'll see what the new year holds!


August 2005  
September 2005  
October 2005  
November 2005  
December 2005  
January 2006  
February 2006  
March 2006  
April 2006  
May 2006  
June 2006  
July 2006  
August 2006  
September 2006  
October 2006